sometimes a strap comes in handy – but on the original firefly there’s hardly any good mounting point to attach a strap. big banjoleles come with lots of possibilities, just the firefly lacks one. and i do not consider fiddling some shoelace through the tailpiece a good solution, not even a workaround.
forutnately the tailpiece is fixed to the rim with a standard screw. replacing it with a longer one and a strap button is only a matter of less than 15 minutes…
- losen the strings and remove the bridge (after all we will undo the tailpiece which holds the strings so we’d better get the tension off it)
- remove the cap nut and the screw. you might have to really unscrew the screw from the rim instead of simply pulling it out
- depending on your strap button you might need a longer screw with the same diameter. i only had a m4x40mm with matching nut and washer at hand, but a 25mm would have been sufficient. the original cap nut did not fit my german m4 screw btw.
- mount the button – this time the screw goes from outside to inside of the rim, the nut secures it from the inside.
- make sure the tailpiece does not touch the skin after tightening everything.